Berks Ag Event Calendar
Find your next event here, from credit courses to weekend family fun! This calendar is a community effort to benefit farmers and non-farmers alike! Browse events by photo tiles, list, or calendar view. Search by titles, topics, audience or other criteria. Click the event title for more details on each event.
Home Food Preservation: Introduction to Drying
September 25 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm$15.00
Learn about today’s recommended methods for home food preservation while dispelling food preservation myths and unsafe practices of the past.
Monday, Sep. 25, 2023 | Noon – 1:30 p.m.
Registration deadline: Sept. 22, 2023 | 11:59 p.m.
Home Food Preservation: Introduction to Drying will explain the scientific reasoning behind today’s recommended methods for drying products while dispelling food preservation myths and unsafe practices of the past. In recent years, there has been increasing interest in home food preservation. Drying is one method of home food preservation that allows you to enjoy seasonal foods all year long. While this method of home food preservation has existed for centuries, we have learned a lot about the science behind this practice in recent years. The Home Food Preservation series of webinars will provide you with the scientific background, preparation tips, and safe processing methods to preserve food at home. Registration is required to receive the link to access the webinar. Registrants will also receive access to the webinar recording.
What will you learn?
- The basic principles behind drying fruits, vegetables, herbs, and meat to assure a safe product
- Various methods of drying including oven drying, using a dehydrator, microwave drying, and air drying
- Pretreatment steps such as blanching and anti-darkening soaking solutions to ensure a quality product
- Food safety considerations when processing jerky
- What to look for when buying a dehydrator
- Ideas for using dehydrated foods
We hope you can join us!
If you have a change to an already submitted event or need to cancel and remove your event on our calendar, please contact DepartmentofAg@CountyofBerks.com