Berks Ag Event Calendar
Find your next event here, from credit courses to weekend family fun! This calendar is a community effort to benefit farmers and non-farmers alike! Browse events by photo tiles, list, or calendar view. Search by titles, topics, audience or other criteria. Click the event title for more details on each event.
- This event has passed.
Starting and Improving Farms Conference
September 20 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
Do you want to start a farm, diversify your existing farm or begin an agritourism business? If so, this two-day conference will provide opportunities to explore new business and production practices to help you achieve your goals. The goal of the conference is to help you build and expand your network and help you identify new ideas and opportunities. According to Forbes Magazine, having a strong business network is essential to achieve your desired success. It can help you provide a lifeline of support, offer solutions to your problems and even help you discover new opportunities that you can immensely benefit from.
Join us for two days filled with presentations, tours, exhibits, workshops and networking opportunities with like-minded professionals! Banquet and lunch meals are included.
Tuesday & Wednesday
Toftrees Golf Resort
1 Country Club Lane
State College, PA 16803
On the first day, attendees will connect with new and existing farmers as they tour small regional farms. Attendees will also visit Penn State research facilities to network with researchers who can address their farming questions. In the evening, participants will hear about the challenges and successes one young couple experienced as they started a new operation a few years ago.
Day two will address business best practices for startups and expansion. Attendees will then have an opportunity to choose from various production workshops that address the needs of their farming operation. These sessions will allow attendees to participate in industry-specific discussions with farmers and extension personnel.
Who is this for?
- Anyone who is considering starting a farm
- Those who began farming within the past five years
- Existing farms considering diversification
- Team members on existing farms
- Women farmers
- Agritourism farmers
- Livestock farmers
- Horticulture farmers
- Providers who support farmers
What will you learn?
- You will learn business and production techniques from farmers, researchers, extension educators, and extension associates.
- You will hear how existing farmers started their businesses and the hurdles they overcame.
- You will meet peers, lenders, and educators willing to assist with your start-up or diversification plans.
- You will choose from various breakout sessions on a wide range of topics so that you can tailor your learning experience to address your farming goals.
OUR BANQUET KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
Check out our complete lineup of speakers under More Info!
ASHLEY & LARRY LATTA
Tuckaway Tree Farm
This program is supported by USDA/NIFA [Award Number 2021‐70027‐34693] and the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.
Preregistration is required.
Sept. 10, 2023, 11:59 PM
If you have a change to an already submitted event or need to cancel and remove your event on our calendar, please contact DepartmentofAg@CountyofBerks.com